Mary’s Seven Sorrows
These are the seven sorrows of Mary:
First Sorrow was the prophecy of Simeon that a sword would pierce her heart (Luke 2:34). Mary stood at the foot of the Cross. Sins of abortion, suicide, murder, sexual abuse, adultery — all sins cause her great sorrow, as they deeply offend Jesus.
Chaplet of The Seven Sorrows Rosary - 18in. Silver Chain - Wood Beads with Illustrated Medals and Centerpieces - IMPORTED FROM ITALY - Gift Boxed
Second Sorrow was the flight of Joseph and Mary into Egypt to escape from Herod who wanted to kill the Child. Today Mary’s heart is filled with pain at the sight of so many refugees fleeing for their lives.
Third Sorrow was the loss of the boy Jesus in the temple.
Fourth Sorrow was the meeting of Jesus and Mary on the way to the Cross. Mary experienced tremendous sorrow at seeing her Son carrying His heavy cross. Our sins fill her heart with sorrow.
Fifth Sorrow was the Crucifixion. Jesus is deeply offended by those souls who commit serious sins.
Sixth Sorrow was the taking down of the Body of Jesus from the Cross.
Seventh Sorrow was the burial of Jesus. Mary, the Mother of God, experiences tremendous sorrow at the sight of so many people today for whom Christ’s death and resurrection mean nothing.
Mary’s Seven Graces
Saint Bridget of Sweden (1302 – 1373) told us that Our Blessed Mother promises the following seven graces to those who honor her daily by saying seven Hail Mary’s and meditating on her tears and sorrows:
- I will grant peace to their families.
- They will be enlightened about the divine mysteries.
- I will console them in their pains and I will accompany them in their work.
- I will give them as much as they ask for as long as it does not oppose the adorable will of my Divine Son or the sanctification of the soul.
- I will defend them in their spiritual battles with the infernal enemy and I will protect them at every instant of their lives.
- I will visibly help them at the moment of their death. They will see the face of their mother.
- I have obtained this grace from my Son; that those who propagate this devotion will be taken directly from this earthly life to eternal happiness, since all their sins will be forgiven. My Son and I will be their eternal consolation and joy.
Chaplet of Divine Mercy NEXT >
Return from the Seven Sorrows to Home Page