Finding happiness in an unhappy world
Finding happiness is not always easy
Many people are not happy. They are not sure about the purpose and meaning of their lives. They sense something is missing.
And many others know the pain of
- family break-ups
- health and money problems
- addiction--alcohol, prescription drugs, shopping, Internet porn, illegal drugs, gambling
Do you want a happier life?
Happiness doesn't mean there won't be some rain in your life.
It does mean that there is inner peace and joy in your heart.
You can have big problems and still be happy... a loving personal relationship with Jesus will help you handle these problems.
Prayer for the zest of living
no matter what may befall me,
let me never lose my zest for life
or my appreciation of this beautiful world
that you have created and made available to me.
Keep ever before my eyes the glory of being alive,
the wondrous freshness of each new day,
and the magnificence of the creatures around us
as they sing your praises by their very being.
Do not let me focus on my own troubles
and remain blind to life's wonders.
Teach me how to take time each day
to thank you for all your gifts to us,
singing your glory with all your creatures
in union with your Son, Jesus Christ.
To find happiness
Choose to be happy
- Use your prayer plan to spend time with Jesus
- A friend of mine chooses to be unhappy by always going over his broken marriage... he won’t let go of the past
- Another friend chooses to be happy by thanking God each morning for the good things in his life... he is living in the present
Learn to be strong and to say “No” to people and to
behaviors that pull you down...
- Don’t trade long term
gain for short term pleasure
- Practice self-discipline even
when it is difficult
Let nothing disturb you or take away your trust in God
- Be slow to anger and quick to forgive as Jesus taught us
- Find real happiness by helping others... this is what Jesus commands us to do
Prayer and faith help us to realize that hopelessness... unhappiness... is a choice that we can change... if we pray and work at it.
10 happiness tips from Pope Francis
- "Live and let live."
- "Be giving of yourself to others."
- "Proceed calmly" in life.
- Have "a healthy sense of leisure."
- "Sunday is for family."
- Be "creative" with young people and find innovative ways to create dignified jobs.
- Respect and take care of nature.
- Stop being negative. "Letting go of negative things quickly is healthy," he said.
- "The worst thing of all is religious proselytism, which paralyzes."
- Work for peace. "We are living in a time of many wars," he said. "The call for peace must be shouted."
Are you lonely? NEXT >
Return from Finding Happiness to Home Page